Justice for Palestine
The catastrophe facing the Palestinian people is a defining global justice issue of our time. It is not an intractable conflict between two equal sides. It is an Occupation by a powerful military state, armed and supported by the West, against an impoverished, stateless and displaced people.
- A third generation of Palestinian children is now being brought up in refugee camps inside and outside Palestine, living in chronic poverty and denied the right to return to their family homes.
- Hundreds of thousands more Palestinians suffer discrimination over access to public services, land rights and employment within Israel itself.
- Israel’s siege of Gaza has condemned its 1.7 million inhabitants to poverty and psychological violence on a daily basis as movement is restricted and there is an ever present threat of military force.
- In the West Bank, the expansion of Israeli settlements, the continued construction of the Apartheid Wall, the military closure of the Jordan Valley and the annexation of East Jerusalem are creating an irreversible reality of permanent Occupation.
- This illegal Occupation, the building of the Apartheid Wall and ongoing military oppression can only be continued with the support of countries and companies that continue to back Israel through business and investment.
The UK is complicit in Israel's continuing violations of human rights and international law. By purchasing arms from and selling arms to Israel, the UK government is giving direct material support for Israel's aggression and sending a clear message of approval for its actions.
Israeli companies make enormous profits from military technology that is ‘field-tested’ on Palestinians. We're calling for an immediate two-way arms embargo.
A political prisoner is someone who is arrested and detained because of their beliefs or political activities. Israel holds thousands of Palestinian men, women and children as political prisoners. Israel’s system of arrest and detention is an integral part of Israel’s Apartheid system, under which Palestinians are governed under a separate set of laws than Israelis.
G4S provides services to Israeli prisons make the company directly complicit in the illegal occupation of Palestine and the unlawful imprisonment of Palestinians, including children.
Palestinians have suffered from Israeli repression and human rights abuse for over 60 years, during which time governments all over the world have allowed Israel to act with impunity.
The response from grassroots Palestinian civil society has been to call on people of conscience around the world to join them in the movement for Boycott Divestment and Sanctions (BDS) against Israel until it complies with international law.
We believe that a long-term solution to the human rights crisis facing the Palestinian people is only possible through a proper understanding of the situation that has developed over the past century, and through the proper use of words to describe that situation correctly. This page explains our use of language in respect of Palestine, together with source references for readers to research further.