G8 forum: capitalism as usual. Let’s stop it!
Across the UK and Europe people will be taking actions, demonstrating and opposing the G8!
Decisions that will shape the global economy and the development of countries around the world will be taken by an elite group of nations during the G8 forum this June in the UK. The G8 group, Canada, France, Germany, Italy, Japan, Russia, the UK and the US, operates like an exclusive members club with no legitimacy, mandate or regulation from any global, regional or national body.
Any participation from developing countries is blatantly ignored despite the fact that issues like poverty, agricultural development and food insecurity will be at the core of their discussions. In contrast, multinational companies responsible for environmental, financial and food crises will be sitting at the same table with the G8 members.
Want to know more about G8 and why it is the problem, not the solution? Read here
War on Want will be part of a series of initiatives in the run up to the official G8 forum on 17-18 June:
- 8 June: Hunger Summit demo - photos here
- 8 June: Walk in the City
- 11 June: Taking on the arms industry - A Spark Space event
- 11 June: Cameron the tax activist? A Spark Space event
- 12 June: Food Sovereignty & the G8 - A Spark Space event
- 14 June: They Owe Us: Shift the Debt
- 14 June: Whose food? Our Food!
- 15 June: Public demo against the G8
- 17 June: March against the G8
Stop G8 are also organising a variety of events about the G8. Find out more here