Bangladeshi garment workers supporting UK strike
01 December 2011
Several hundred garment workers took part in a solidarity rally in Dhaka (Bangladesh) organised by War on Want's partner, the National Garment Workers Federation (NGWF), in support of trade unions and workers in the UK taking industrial action.
Steve Grinter, the Education Secretary of the International Textile Garment & Leather Workers' Federation (ITGLWF) also participated in the march and highlighted the importance of international trade union solidarity between North and South. Some of the demands put forward were:
- For full support and solidarity for unions and strikers in the whole of the UK.
- For the UK government to stop the changes on the pension scheme for public sector workers.
- For the Bangladeshi and British government to not adopt any policy according to the prescriptions by the World Bank, IMF and other financial institutions as these are against workers and people.
- For governments not to serve the interests of multinational corporations but the interest of people.
- For all workers and working people to unite and fight for their rights and better conditions.
War on Want thanks NGWF and the Bangladeshi garment workers for their support and message of solidarity.